The flavor of the orange and fennel blend for a light and lively taste.
● Juice (about ½ cup) plus finely grated zest from one orange
● 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
● 1 tablespoons honey
● 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
● 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
● ½ teaspoon roasted and freshly ground fennel seed
● Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
● ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
● 2 medium fennel bulbs, each cut into 8-10 wedges
● 1 medium red onion, cut into 12 wedges
● 1 orange, thinly sliced
● ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
● chopped fennel fronds
Preheat oven to 425F.
Combine the orange juice, orange zest, vinegar, honey, apricot preserves, mustard, fennel seed and ¼ cup olive oil. Puree.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place fennel wedges, onion wedges, and orange slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
Toss with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast vegetables for 10 minutes.
Flip vegetables and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
Add the olives and drizzle with the orange juice mixture, tossing to coat. Roast for an additional 10 minutes.
Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with fennel fronds and serve.